Mar 15, 2010

Penny Bazaar (PfennigBazaar) Kaiserslautern




Update: link to the 2015 Bazaar here


About the Bazaar
I have gone for the last 8 years... It's alot of fun. I look forward to it each year.

The GAIWC is a non-profit club. The profits of the Pfennig Bazaar will be used to support local charity projects. Furthermore, the club financially supports the German-American students & youth exchange programs. For further info please check www.gaiwc.com


What to bring?

*Bring Euros in SMALL bills and change.

*Bring a sack, or small rolling luggage to carry your purchases as most of the stalls do not have bags for you. And you will have parked pretty far from the venue.

*Bring a good attitude. Shoppers are pushy and often rude. You just have to deal with it an not take it personally.




The market is set up by department. There are sections for children's toys, books, music, antiques, and clothing. The clothing is then further organized by type and size.  This makes it much easier to find just what you are looking for!

If you stop by the Antique Table, the prices are pretty much what the value is. Don't expect an amazing bargain for this section. And don't expect them to bargain the first few hours of opening. =)



More Tips

Need a German gift? This is the place! I have found Beer Steins for just 50 euro cents!




 BARGAIN!!! 


Be there Early for opening day!
I am usually standing in line 1-2 hours before opening.
Dress in layers. You will freeze waiting outside. But will be so hot inside with the crowd.
There is a a good size crowd at the entrance!




 Usually, the last day is fill a bag for 5 euros.


Kinder friendly?
I have gone with my children as infants, in the stroller, and as toddlers. It's not much fun.
It's been fine with a baby on my chest in a carrier, but it's practically impossible to move the stroller around. There are just to many people and no one seems to move out of your way. If you go during a non busy time such as after the opening rush, then the isles are definitely wide enough for strollers etc.
.

Food?
There is a food stand there with desserts and lunch. This makes a great break for the whole family.






Hope to see you there!












2 comments:

  1. I didn't get to go to the market, but a friend of mine did and she got me an ADORABLE butter yellow vintage apron with butterflies. What an amazing friend she is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am confused about what market it this weekend 19-21 of March. Is it a fabric market only? Is the advice below about this market you went to last yr....when you bought the trunk and butterfly apron? I saw your website posted on facebook by a friend of a friend and she says a 'great market is this weekend', but didn't say what kind. I suppose she is talking about the one Sunday in Wiesbaden. If it is just fabrics, I do not want to get there and not know exactly what it is--is there a website? I saw what looks like an address...Thanks SO much, Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Angela

Angela

About The Market Junkie

Welcome. My Name is Angela... AKA The Market Junkie.

I am a stay at home home school mama of 3, and this is my hobby. Family comes first, then my love of markets and second hand fun! I love visiting the markets in Europe. I love to refinish old pieces and re-purpose them. Living in the Rheinland Pfalz area- my posts reflect the distance to markets and shops from the Kaiserslautern area.

I enjoy the adventure, and hope that you will come along with me! 10 years in Germany, and lovin' it!